13 Nov 2022 Bala Owner

... or Desperation

shutterstock_383163865

When I first started here at Lovetreats, I told all my friends about it. But one conversation about male masturbators with my friend 'Mr.Vibes' stood out. At the end of our heated conversation, (his stance being, “I’m not desperate maaan, why would I need a toy maaan, when I got a girl maaaan.”), I was intrigued by his opinion and decided it was time that we started this conversation openly here at Better Than Chocolate.

Masturbators. Lubricants. Anal toys. Whips. Handcuffs. Vibrators. For many people, these products elicit images of sleazy, pornographic, kinky, desperate, sex addict perverts. This negative, warped view comes from some traditional societal values (about marriage and healthy sex life) and the media around us. So traditionalists around us have written off sex toys as the number one accessory for losers.

But what if we looked at sex toys in a different way. What if, instead of seeing them as scary devices exclusively used by the perverts and porn stars of the world, we see them as an accessory or tool for better sex: sex toys not as a necessity but rather a wonderful addition to boost the main attraction. Lets take it a step further: people who use sex toys are totally on top of their game because they get it, and they get it because they have become open to and fully accepting of the anatomical needs. 

And many singles and couples would feel better if they started to get it and become more open to their body's needs. Imagine the same intercourse routine or style of masturbation every time, day in and day out, but then one day you add a new tool just to change things up. Suddenly orgasm is a thousand times better. Think of a sex toy as a wonderful new booster: An addition, not a replacement.

Let’s get the most common misconception out of the way: Sex toys are only for those who are desperate and lonely. Wrong. Sex toys are used by couples to heighten their relationships, and these toys are used by singles who have healthy and happy attitudes about sex and relationships experience. Using sex toys during solo or "two or more" person play is not about immorality or unhealthy sexual attitudes, its about having a good time. Plain and simple.

Sexuality is a primal, wired drive, and denying it is like denying the urge to eat or drink water. So why view toys as only for those who are desperate? Let's look at sex toys as a way to honour and satisfy our physically ingrained needs.

I was perturbed by the notion that using sex toys means that there is something wrong with one's body or partner. In Mr. Vibes' view, sex toys compensate for a body that doesn't work well or they help a partner who doesn't know how to perform “well”. WrongFor example, many women with perfectly functioning bodies cannot orgasm simply because vaginal intercourse doesn’t directly stimulate their clitoris. Or they simply take a longer time to orgasm during intercourse. In fact only about 25% of woman regularly orgasm during penetrative sex. The other 75% need additional stimulation to orgasm during intercourse. That is neither right or wrong, it is simply a fact of anatomy.

And many sex therapists actually recommend using toys, like vibrators or pleasure rings, to stimulate women's erogenous zones. Many women require more than G-spot stimulation. So consider the addition of a spunky sex toy to truly explore the needs of our unique bodies.

quote 22

Another misconception that many people have: All sex toys are made by dishonest men who are trying to capitalise on sexual ignorance. WrongThink sleazy bodegas in dodgy alleys, where the lighting is poor and the walls are plastered with overly-sexualised nude women in disempowered depictions. These "retailers" carry products that are cheap and poorly made. 

The vision of Lovetreats, and many other legal & safe brands is to discard these negative notions. Lovetreats is woman friendly, features NO lewd images, we encourage equality in sexual relations that are governed by safety and consent. Most importantly the idea is to encourage people to explore their personal pleasures and needs so that we can reclaim our natural instincts.

Perhaps it’s time to view toys as truly awe-inspiring and not toys of the “lonely and desperate”. See sex toys as the basil to your regular salad! Let’s be real, as Norman Lindsay once said, “Sex is not only the basis of life, it is the reason for life.” – so why not enjoy it!


Written by Nidhi Gopalan. Nidhi studied Acting at NYU and is currently finishing her degree in Social Work in Bangalore. Nidhi loves cooking, meeting new people and changing her hair colour once in a while. She writes awesome blogs and makes sure the Lovetreats team gets enough vitamins and antioxidants.


Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published

Product added to your Cart

English